The Government of Canada wants people to enter and work legally in Canada and apply for relevant visa. Hence, it is very crucial to know about the various visa categories, in order to choose the one that first best with your eligibility and requirements.
The two major categories are:

  • Canadian PR Visa
  • Canadian Work Visa

Being a Canadian Permanent Resident means you are able to live and work in Canada with the same freedoms as a citizen. You don’t have to look for a Canadian job offer and put forth the extra effort of obtaining a new work permit. Additionally, Canadian Permanent Residency rights are also granted to your dependent family. However, the concept of a Canadian temporary work permit can sound very appealing. Often there is less paper work required and the processing times are faster when compared to a permanent residence application. All of which means, generally speaking, you can come to Canada faster.
If granted a closed work permit you would be restricted to work for the same employer, at the same position until the employer no longer requires your services or when your work permit expires, whichever comes first.
Canada work visas are issued under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
The TFWP is intended to help Canadian employers recruit foreign workers in response to labour market shortages.
TFWP is made up of four streams: high-skilled workers, low-skilled workers, the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program, and the Live-In Caregiver Program. Foreign workers must have an approved job offer and a work permit before arriving in Canada under the TFWP.
IRCC works with Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) to ensure foreign workers do not take jobs for which Canadian citizens or permanent residents are available. Canadian employers intending to hire a foreign worker must obtain prior approval. This is done by applying for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
In some cases, foreign workers may qualify to work in Canada without an LMIA under various programs, such as the International Mobility Program. A TFWP Canada work permit holder’s family may come with them to Canada. All family members must complete their own application forms, but they can be submitted together.
If a family member wants to work in Canada, they will need their own Canada work permit.

In certain cases, spouses or common-law partners are eligible for an open work permit. If a temporary foreign worker’s children would like to study in Canada, they need a study permit.
An open work permit allows the holder to work in any job with any employer with limited exceptions. An open work permit also means the holder’s employer does not need an LMIA.
A spouse’s eligibility for an open work permit depends on the skill level of the temporary foreign worker’s job.
A high-skilled foreign worker’s spouse could be eligible for an open work permit, provided the foreign worker is authorized to work in Canada for at least six months. A low-skilled worker’s spouse will only be eligible for an open work permit through an active pilot project.
Dependent children are only eligible for an open work permit through an active pilot project.

Powered by Trysocio